The Yarn Dregs: Baby Hat and Flowers
It was a personal challenge to use up every last inch of the cotton yarn. The Easter dresses and tunic ate up most of it but there was still a bit left. It’s always tough to know what to do with little bits of yarn. I get a bit nervous that I will start something and not have enough to finish.
In anticipation of our pending arrival, I decided to make a unisex striped baby hat.
I was sort of following a pattern but I made a huge error in the gauge along with so many others that I won’t embarrass the real designer with a credit. The resulting hat is not really at all like what the pattern said it should be but I was too jaded to unpick it and start over. I just finished up the best I could and ended up sewing it inside out because it looked better than the front pattern. I guess this is the danger of forcing yourself to use something that you are not really inspired to use.
There was still a smidge of red and white yarn left at this point, so I made two more little flowers.
And that was that! There was literally nothing left. It was a relief to be done working with the cotton yarn. I now have some fun summer clothes instead of some stale yarn sitting in my cabinet. I also gained a better sense of how much yarn I need for a given project. I still have TONS of yarn to work through in my stash, including a particularly large cone of pink chenille.
I will need a lot of inspiration to get through this one!
Happy Earth Day! May you find new ways to use and transform your own clutter into treasures!