Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
While we may tend to think of the “holiday season” in December, one of the most important holidays of the year is now upon us . . . Mother’s Day! Mother’s Day is one of those holidays that you cannot miss. After reading Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother I can no longer think of Mother’s Day without thinking of Amy Chua’s instructions to her daughters on her birthday:
“I don’t want this. I want a better one – one that you’ve put some thought and effort into. . . . I deserve better than this. So I reject this.”
–Amy Chua, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Fortunately, none of the mothers I shop for are Tiger Mothers but I think the sentiment rings a bit true for all mothers. Motherhood is one of the most underappreciated jobs on the planet and even with an entire national day of recognition for it, it just doesn’t seem like enough. There is no card or gift we can give that adequately says thanks for all the things mothers do for us in our lives.
But just because we can’t achieve perfection in thanking our mothers, does not excuse us from our Mother’s Day obligations. We are now down to the last weekend before Mother’s Day and it is time to get our gifts together.
Last year, I wrote an exhaustive list of Mother’s Day gift suggestions.
This year, I will just share some of the interesting graden-related links that crossed my inbox this year:
- Wayside Gardens (Romance the garden with peonies, roses) – How thoughtful would it be if you planted something in her garden (easy to grow, please!) that would bloom every year on Mother’s Day? In the DC area, peonies or rhododendrons would fit the bill nicely.
- Gump’s – Enchanted Garden Accessories. Another low-maintenance garden item would be a piece of statuary. Gump’s cranes are particularly elegant.
- IKEA posted numerous affordable gift ideas for Mother’s Day, including a small greenhouse to grow herbs in.
- Cartier – on the other end of the expense spectrum, you could always help mom garden in style with a chic pair of rimless sunglasses or a beautiful floral perfume.
- Michaels – for handmade projects for mom from kids or others (including garden stepping stones).
Mom-oriented Charitable Donations (also consider donating to any charity your mom favors):
What are your favorite Mother’s Day gifts to send or receive? Please share in the comments.
P.S. As always, I have no affiliation with any of the stores or organizations mentioned above (except Amazon).